In eHRAF’s Advanced Search the “Add Subjects” function can be used to pick “dwellings” as OCM subject. This and other OCM subjects can be used to search across all cultures and to find paragraphs and pages of ethnographic texts with information on the descriptions of residential buildings; seasonal, local and status differences in dwelling types; caves as dwellings; durability and portability of dwellings; mode of construction; adequacy (e.g., for protection from elements, for security, or light and ventilation); typical number of occupants; ceremonies during and after construction; etc.
This image shows the numbered steps in selecting “dwellings” as OCM subject in an Advanced Search in eHRAF World Cultures.
Using OCM subject(s) in an Advanced Search in eHRAF World Cultures
Step 1. Find a subject that is related to dwellings such as igloos, tents, tipis, houses.
Click Add Subjects –use A-Z index, Major Subjects, or tabs to find “matching” subjects for your topic:
>A-Z Index (type the word “dwellings” in index box….see image above
>Major Subjects>”Technology and Material Culture” >Structures > Dwellings (OCM 342)
>OCM Code>300 range under Structures > Dwellings (OCM 342)
Step 2. Click “Search” to perform a cross-cultural search. This will search ethnographies and cultures, ethnic groups, and indigenous people (e.g. of major geographic regions such as Middle America, Asia, Oceania, Middle East, etc.).
Try your own eHRAF Advanced Search in eHRAF World Cultures . Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a current login.
More Search Methods Posts:
- Community Life in Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Turkmenistan
- Traditional Rice Cultivation in the Philippines
- Hunting Whales with Weapons
- Shell Middens in Eastern Woodland Traditions in eHRAF Archaeology
- Traditional Cereal Agriculture in China
- Tibetan Medical Treatments
- Reindeer for Milk Production
- A Cross-Cultural Search for Shamanism
- A Cross-Cultural Search for Children’s Activities
- Searching Ethnographies for Information on Dwellings, House Structures, Tipis, Igloos, etc.
Related eHRAF User Guide Links